If you are coming up with meal ideas for kids with a food allergy or intolerance then I applaud you because finding meals that kids will eat at all is hard enough without working around an extra factor. When one OTC reader asked me to suggest a gluten and dairy free meal for chicken I thought of my Crunchy Cornflake Chicken but then found out that cornflakes aren’t gluten free. So off to the shop to purchase my first box of gluten free cornflakes to find out whether they can produce the same crunchy sensation that my kids love. The answer was a resounding yes!
Serves 2 Adults & 2 Kids
2 chicken breasts (approx. 350g)
100g gluten free cornflakes (or regular cornflakes if gluten isn’t a problem)
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp parsley
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
100ml olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan) with a shelf above the middle but not too close to the top.
- Cut the chicken breasts horizontally in half so that it isn’t as thick. This will make it cook at the same pace as the coating. Trim off the chicken tender underneath as well so that you have 3 pieces of chicken from one breast that are all roughly the same thickness.
- Repeat on the second breast then lay the chicken pieces out on a non-stick baking sheet. Tip the cornflakes, thyme, parsley, garlic powder and salt into a bowl and using either your hands, a rolling pin or a potato masher, crush the flakes and herbs together. You can use a food processor but it’s less washing up if you just do it manually.
- Once you have crushed the flakes to the size of rice, add the olive oil and use a fork to mash everything together. Use the fork to press the mixture onto the chicken fillets. Once you’ve coated one side turn over the chicken and coat the other side.
- Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 15 minutes then turn the chicken pieces over and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve with veggies or salad.