After asking which kid-friendly ingredients you would like some new ideas for one reader asked for new recipes for ground beef. A lot of parents have Spaghetti Bolognese and Cottage Pie in their ground beef repertoire so I wanted to add something simple and fun to that list. I’m a massive fan of a hot sandwich so meatball subs were my first thought for a quick and easy ground beef meal. You can serve these with kid-friendly help yourself finger foods like blueberries, carrot sticks, cucumber, grapes etc.
Makes 5 Sandwiches
250g lean ground beef (beef mince)
75g grated mozzarella
1tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sugar
5 finger rolls
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan) with a tray just above middle.
- Put the beef into a bowl then add the garlic powder, salt, nutmeg and olive oil. Use your hands to mix everything together.
- Put the mixture into a small ovenproof dish and keep having the mixture until you have 16 portions. The kids can help to roll the portions into meatballs.
- Pour the passata evenly over the meatballs then sprinkle the sugar evenly over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and pop into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Slice open the rolls then use a spoon to dish up the meatballs, sauce and cheese into the sandwich. Spoon extra sauce over if your kids like it.