This is my second recipe for OTC readers asking for gluten-free family meals using chicken breasts. One of the recipes in my book is for Thai lettuce wraps and this is a pared down version of that with simpler flavours that the whole family will recognise. Using lettuce leaves to make the wraps adds a fun build-it-yourself element that kids enjoy. Serve with rice, that can be added to the filling, to make a more substantial meal. You can pop the lettuce wrap inside a gluten-free (or regular) tortilla wrap too.
Serves 2 Adults and 2 Kids
3 chicken breasts (approx. 500g)
1 large red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce (or regular if gluten is not a problem)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 head of lettuce (butter, round and romaine work well)
- Cut the chicken breasts in half so that the thicker end is separate from the thinner end. Slice the thicker part in half horizontally so that it’s the same thickness as the thinner part. Slice all the chicken into 2 cm wide strips.
- Chop the pepper so that it’s about the same size as the corn. Drain the corn. Wash and dry the lettuce leaves. Now you’re ready to cook.
- Put a large frying pan on the highest heat available then add the vegetable oil. Once the pan is very hot add the chicken and space out the strips so they have some room. Grind some salt over the chicken then don’t move the strips for 2 minutes so that it gets golden and tasty.
- Turn the chicken over and cook for 1 minute before sprinkling over the garlic powder. Give everything a good stir to coat the chicken in the powder then use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the pan to rest in a bowl.
- Put the pan back on the heat, you will have some oil and powder left in the pan, and add the sweetcorn. Give the pan a shake to spread the kernels out then don’t move the corn for 1 minute. This will give the corn a toasty taste and add some colour.
- After 1 minute add the chopped pepper, give everything a stir and turn the heat down to medium. Add the soy sauce and lime then stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and give everything a good stir then transfer to a bowl with a spoon and serve with the lettuce leaves.
- I serve the lettuce wraps alongside 20 Minute Rice, mayo, hot sauce and tortilla wraps so that everyone can build their own wraps.