This is my second ground beef/mince recipe in response to an OTC request for inspiration to transform this reliable weekday ingredient. Taco Beef Nachos are a much more substantial version of my regular veggie nachos and make a brilliant kids’ tea. I serve this with corn on the cob for a bright and easy weekday meal. Check out my taco seasoning recipe that you can make quickly, and cheaply at home.
Post-Natal Superfood Profile: Iron
Iron helps to regulate blood sugar which in turn regulates energy and mood; an essential part of managing depression. BEEF
Serves 1 Adult & 2 Kids
250g lean ground beef
200g tortilla chips
150g salsa (try’s Joyce’s salsa)
150g grated mozzarella
1 chopped spring onion
2 tsps taco seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
20g pickled jalapenos
25g sliced black olives
1 tsp vegetable oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan). Put the oil into a medium sized frying pan on a medium/high heat. Once the pan is hot add the ground beef and break up with a spoon to brown the meat. Once the meat starts to brown sprinkle over the salt and taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Once the meat is browned (about 2 minutes) squeeze over the juice of 1 lime stir then turn off the heat.
- Put half the tortilla chips into a heatproof dish or tray then sprinkle over half the beef, half the salsa, half the chopped spring onion and half the cheese.
- Put the rest of the tortilla chips on top then sprinkle over the remaining beef, salsa, onion and cheese. Put the tray into the oven and cook for 8 minutes.
- Once the cheese has melted sprinkle the jalapenos and/or olives over the top if you and your kids like them. Serve with corn on the cob, guacamole and sour cream and Joyce’s Salsa!