I love pancakes all year round but at Christmas I go all out on shapes and decorating. To make the festive shapes you need metal cookie cutters. The plastic ones will melt in the pan. If you don’t have any cutters you can still make the most adorable reindeer pancakes with just a strawberry and a few chocolate chips. I don’t add any sugar to the batter because they get covered in sweet toppings. Simple foods like this can make memories that last a lifetime. I doubt the kids will remember the taste but I hope they’ll remember that sticking decorations on pancakes with Nutella was great fun.
Serves 2 Adults & 2-3 Kids
180g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
To Decorate: chocolate chips, strawberry pieces, blueberries and baking decorations. Nutella and whipped cream.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites then add the salt to the egg whites and whisk to form soft peaks.
- Add the egg yolks to the milk and stir with a fork to break the yolks. Tip the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Gradually pour the milk mixture into the flour and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Gradually add the egg white mixture and fold in (big vertical movements with your spoon to keep the air going into the mixture) until it’s all incorporated then pour into a large jug.
- Heat one or two non-stick frying pans on a medium heat and get them hot before you cook your first pancakes.
- Oil your cookie cutter on the inside with vegetable oil then place in the frying pan (oil the pan as well if it isn’t non-stick). Pour the batter half way up the cutter (hold the cutter down in the pan for a few seconds if batter is leaking out of the bottom).
- If you don’t have cookie cutters simply pour the batter into the pan and make reindeer heads and baubles that can be decorated.
- When the batter bubbles on top, turn it over, with the cookie cutter, and cook for a minute or two before removing from the pan. Let the cutter shapes rest for a minute before popping the pancake out.
- Keep warm in the oven until all your pancakes are done then decorate. I give the kids chocolate chips, strawberry pieces, blueberries and baking decorations to decorate their pancakes then put Nutella and whipped cream on the table so they can stick the decorations on.