There are some dishes that make my body feel instantly good and this is one of them. Salmon and Green Beans has lots of beautiful textures and flavours and is packed-full of nutrition. I usually plan to have a few fish dishes throughout December to break up the richness of my After Eight and Stilton consumption. To get crispy salmon skin you have to scrape the scales off the skin using a sharp knife. If you’re not bothered about the skin you can cook with the scales on and peel away before serving.
Post-Natal Superfood Profile: SALMON
Salmon is a powerhouse of post-natal nutrition. It has selenium, B vitamins and the anti-oxident astaxanthin which all either improve or protect brain function.
Serves 2 Adults & 2 Kids
50g unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
250ml chicken or vegetable stock
60ml oyster sauce
40 ml dark soy sauce
200g trimmed green beans
spring onion and chilli to garnish
200g white rice and 475ml water with 1/2 tsp of salt
- Tip the rice into a small pan that has a lid. Add the water and salt then stir. Put the pan on a very hot heat and as soon as it boils turn the heat down to medium low, put a lid on and cook for 20 minutes. When done fluff with a fork and serve.
- Descale the salmon by dragging a knife against the grain of the scales so that they come away. I keep a piece of kitchen roll next to the chopping board to wipe the scales off my knife.
- Cut the salmon into portions and salt the descaled skin.
- Put the butter and oil into a large skillet on a medium high heat. When the butter is foaming put the fish in the pan, skin-side-down and DO NOT MOVE IT. Cook it until you can see that the flesh is cooked 1cm above the skin. Turn over the fillets (the skin should be crisp and have a golden colour) and TURN OFF THE HEAT under the pan. Leave the fillets in there for 2 minutes then remove from the pan. The delicate flesh will cook in the residual heat of the pan.
- While the salmon is cooking put the stock, oyster sauce and soy sauce into a medium skillet with a lid and put on a medium heat. Once the liquid is simmering (small bubbles appearing) put the beans in and put the lid on. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Dish the rice up into 4 bowls and place a salmon fillet next to each serving then top with some green beans. The kids don’t like the broth so I serve theirs without then pour the oyster/soy broth into the two adult bowls and top with sliced spring onion and chilli.