Fishcakes are a family favourite because they’re nutritious and have flavours your kids will be familiar with. I use frozen cod fillets which are cheaper than fresh but just as tasty. They take a little time to make but the kids can help with the stirring and coating. You can freeze the cooked fishcakes then reheat them in the oven if you want to make big batches and save time in the future. I serve the fishcakes with baked beans for the kids and veggies for me and Paul.
Serves 2 Adults & 2 Kids
100g white cheddar
1 tbsp mayonnaise
small bunch of chives
1 tbsp flour
50ml veg oil and 50g butter for frying
for the crispy coating
100g golden breadcrumbs
100 plain flour
- Take the fish out of the freezer and put into a bowl of tap water to defrost.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 3cm cubes then in a large pan cover them in cold, salted water and bring to a gentle boil. The potatoes should be par boiled (still firm in the centre) after 7 minutes from boiling. Drain the potatoes then return them to the pan to cool and dry out.
- Once dry use a fork to gently crush the potatoes (you don’t want mash, you just want to break the cubes so they can grip to the fish mixture).
- The fish should be thawed enough to cut into 3cm chunks. Put the chunks into a pan with a lid on and cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes. The water in the fish will steam cook the cod.
- Drain the excess liquid then put the fish into a large mixing bowl and add the grated white cheddar, mayonnaise and chives to the bowl.
- Add the potatoes and sprinkle over a tablespoon of plain flour. Use a spoon to gently combine everything.
- Put the flour, breadcrumbs and whisked eggs into three separate bowls. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over a medium high heat then carefully form the fish mixture into cakes without squashing the ingredients.
- Coat in the flour first, then the egg then the breadcrumbs then into the pan to fry until golden brown then gently turn over to cook the other side. Turn down the heat if the pan is getting too hot. Remove the cooked fishcakes to kitchen roll to remove excess oil then serve up and squeeze over the lemon.