This is probably the salad I make most for me and Paul because it’s so easy to make, ridiculously tasty and incredibly versatile; it’s a great side dish for veggie mains like Cheesy Lentil Bites, it’s the perfect topping for Beetroot “Muffin” Burgers and I add some egg noodles and tofu to it for an amazing noodle salad. It’s too spicy for the kids but because it’s easy to make I can cut up some cucumber and carrot batons for the kids then make this salad for me and Paul. There is a little kitchen gadget that makes this salad easy to make and if you don’t have one it’s worth splashing out a few pounds to get one; a Vegetable Julienne Peeler.
Serves 2 Adults
4-5 carrots (more if the carrots are small)
red or green chilli (or dried chilli flakes)
small handful of coriander or parsley
2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
2 tsps honey
a heaped 1/2 tsp salt
- Wash or peel the carrots (depending on how old the carrots are) then use the julienne peeler on all sides of the carrot leaving the core in tact (it’s just not very tasty on its own but you can save the cores in the freezer for when you make stock).
- Put all the julienned carrots in a mixing bowl then finely chop the chilli and add to the bowl.
- Mix together the vinegar and honey then pour over the carrots, add the salt then toss everything together.
- Add the chopped coriander (or parsley) then leave the salad to stand for 2 minutes while the carrots soften.
- You can keep any leftovers in a sealed container overnight in the fridge.