I apologise in advance that this salad is SO good because it’s the kind of meal you crave. When asparagus comes into season we eat this dish once a week. I use chorizo sausage but you can use whichever sausage you like. I like mixing temperatures so the asparagus is hot the sausage and tomatoes are warm and the eggs are cold. I make Crunchy Tinned Potatoes to go with this salad but it’s also delicious with new potatoes. There are no exact measurements for the salad just make as much of each thing as you want.
Serves 2 Adults
crunchy tinned potatoes (click for the recipe)
free range eggs
chorizo or other sausage
salt, pepper and olive oil
mayo and lemon for the dressing
- Prepare the potatoes according to the recipe in the link. Put a pan of water on to boil. Once it’s boiling cook the eggs for 7 minutes then put the eggs into cold water.
- Cut the chorizo into large, same sized pieces and fry on a medium heat in a little olive oil. Save most of the chorizo oil that leaches out of the sausage to use in the dressing and leave a little in the pan. Drain the chorizo on kitchen towel.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters then fry on the cut sides in the chorizo oil for 2 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with salt when removed from the pan.
- Put the asparagus in a skillet with a lid then pour over boiling water to come half way up the asparagus. Sprinkle over with salt then cook on a medium high heat with the lid on for 4 minutes then drain.
- Put 2 tbsps of mayo in a bowl with 1 tbsp of chorizo oil then squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and grind over with salt. Taste to see if it needs more lemon, salt or oil.
- Peel and cut the eggs in half then arrange all the elements on a big platter and scatter with rocket leaves then sprinkle with a little salt before drizzling the dressing over everything.