I awoke to the most incredible surprise birthday today. I had wanted to go to the seaside and grill fish on the beach but with lockdown that wasn’t possible so Paul and the kids decorated the house to be a Seaside at Home party. We’ve got sand and a fishing game, bubbles and mermaids galore.
I am eating lots of my favourite foods today (including Cashell Blue cheese that arrived in a cheese hamper from my beautiful sisters in law). Paul started the day by making perfect dippy eggs and freshly brewed coffee then lunch was Steak with Salsa Verde and ciabatta. Dinner is good old fashioned prawn cocktail followed by Moules Frites (I will drink the moules broth out of the bowl at the end). Chuck in a spectacular mermaid birthday cake from my in-laws, flowers galore, beautiful gifts from my folks, friends and sister, pass the parcel, a glass or two of bubbly and it’s a pretty perfect day.
Serves 2 Adults and 2 Kids
3 ribeye steaks
5 anchovy fillets
2 tbsp capers (and 1 tsp of the liquid)
15g fresh parsley
1 garlic clove
2 tsp Dijon mustard
5 tbsp olive oil (100ml)
pinch of chilli flakes
salt and pepper
1 bake at home ciabatta
- Take your steaks out of their packaging and leave to rest at room temperature for at least an hour before cooking. This will make them so much juicier than cooking them straight from the fridge.
- Chuck the watercress, parsley, garlic, capers and liquid, anchovies, mustard, the juice of half a lemon and a small pinch of chilli flakes into a food processor and blitz. After 10 seconds start pouring in the olive oil until it’s all incorporated.
- Get your BBQ or pan very hot and oil your steaks on both sides then season all over with lots of freshly ground salt and pepper. You need more than average seasoning on a steak.
- If using a bake at home bread, pop it in the oven now.
- Put your steak onto the grill or into your pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side (for medium) then put the steaks on a plate, loosely covered in foil, to rest for 4 minutes. The resting is essential for a tender steak.
- Slice the steak then arrange on the plate and drizzle liberally with the salsa verde.