Egg rolls are such a versatile meal that you can fill with any savoury flavour you like. I should apologise up front because they are addictive! During lockdown egg rolls are quick and easy to make and, if my two are anything to go by, extremely kid-friendly. Quick tip on the omelette; don’t add milk to the eggs and the omelette will come away much easier when you flip it. Ideal with a bowl of soup or fruit.
Serves 2 Kids
4 Large Free Range Eggs
2 flour tortillas
2 knobs of butter
4 slices ham (approx 100g)
- Crack two eggs into a bowl and whisk them until smooth. Put a non-stick frying pan roughly the same size as your tortilla on a medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add a knob of butter.
- Add the eggs to the pan and swirl the pan then leave it alone. Do not move the eggs.
- Place a tortilla on top of the eggs then use a spatula to loosen the egg around the edges. Cook for a minute then try to slide your spatula under the egg, if it’s ready the omelette will lift and you can flip the whole thing.
- Sprinkle over half the grated cheese and add two slices of ham. Once the cheese has begun to melt carefully roll the tortilla. I have asbestos hands but you might need to use a clean cloth to roll it to protect your skin.
- Remove the egg roll from the pan and repeat the process to make the second egg roll. Slice using a bread knife and serve.
- You really can add anything to these egg rolls. I like to spread masala chutney over the tortilla before I place it on the omelette then scatter some chopped spring onion over the ham and cheese. I also like duck and cucumber with hoisin in my egg rolls. So many choices!