Eggs are one of my six post-natal superfoods (more on those gems soon) and have a special place in my heart. To me a perfect meal is nutritious but also makes you happy. There’s something playful and easy about a boiled egg that makes even a hard day a little brighter. No matter how old you are, when you plunge golden toast soldiers into a perfectly dippy yolk, it just makes you smile.
Serves 2 Adults & 2 Kids
4 Large Free Range Eggs
1.5 litres water
4 slices of thick bread
- Bring the water to a boil in a small pan. Set a timer for 6 minutes for eggs from the fridge or 5 minutes for eggs kept at room temperature. Use a spoon to lower the eggs right to the bottom of the pan then gently tip them off the spoon.
- Pop your bread in the toaster ready to smother in butter and cut into dipping soldiers.
- Once the 6 minutes are up, turn off the heat and remove each egg to an egg cup.
- If you’re serving immediately leave the shells on and everyone can behead their own at the table. If the eggs are ready but the family isn’t; shell the eggs (break the shell on a flat surface them run under cold water and peel away the shell) and put back in the egg cups. This will stop the yolk cooking further.
- Sprinkle the yolk with a little salt and enjoy your morning sunshine dippiness.